you're reading...
Art, Australia, Museum, Photography, Sydney

Visiting Sydney Tramway Museum: A Blast from the Past

DSC_0106

One of the coolest things about the tour organised by the Sydney Electric Train Society was the visit to the Sydney Tramway Museum in the suburb of Loftus in the Sutherland Shire. The museum houses a range of local and international trams that coasted along the historic lanes of Australian and overseas cities. Besides these, a historic double-decked bus is also seen in the museum, along with notable artifacts of priceless and historical value.

Read: ‘New and Old Electrics Tour’ – Tour Extraordinaire

DSC_0096

The visit to the museum also includes a ride to some of their priced tram collections. The ride goes all the way to the Army Reserve Barracks in Sutherland, and the Royal National Park in opposite directions. This chance of getting into one of these trams provides how classic and relevant they were during their heydays. They bring people to every nook and cranny of every bustling metropolis in the past era, and inspire the builders of locomotives of our modern times.

DSC_0102

Complementing the visit is a sumptuous Aussie barbecue that makes the whole experience authentic and great. This is typical Australian culture that loves a superb meal and an amazing experience around people who share laughter and a great conversation.

DSC_0112

How to Get There:

• Take a train on the Illawarra Line and get off at Loftus Station. Then take a five-minute walk from the station to the museum.
  • When travelling by car it is recommended that one takes the Rawson Avenue, going south from Sutherland.

————————-

You might like:

Advertisements

Discussion

18 thoughts on “Visiting Sydney Tramway Museum: A Blast from the Past

1. Liked your photos of those old trams. Wanted to visit this before, and with your post it would be fun to go there.

Posted by Narita | December 26, 2012, 1:39 PM
  2. I feel like the biggest geek, but I really really want to go there. Trams are amazing and one of the reasons I fell in love with Melbourne. If I ever go there, I hope there is some soviet era trams – these are my favoruite 🙂

Thank you for this post, it brightened up my day.

Posted by Dusty | December 26, 2012, 7:22 PM
  3. Thank you for this post – its brightened up my day! Feel like a complete geek but know I would love like place. However, if I ever visit, I hope there are Soviet era trams, these are my favourite 🙂

Posted by dustysoles | December 26, 2012, 7:26 PM
  4. So cool! I have this fascination with trains and make it a point to take one in every city or country I visit that has one. I lived in Sydney for a while, in Newtown but worked in North Sydney, a 45 min train ride away. But it was a beautiful one, crossing the Harbour Bridge.. it always amazed me.

I also love train museums, and now I feel so left out and dumb for having missed this!

Thanks for sharing

Posted by the audacious amateur blogger | December 27, 2012, 8:34 AM
  5. Very cool post and something you don’t always hear about when traveling in Sydney! Thanks for sharing this information and thank you for stopping by Travel Oops!

Posted by stephglaser | December 28, 2012, 4:40 AM
  6. Great post and photos, I will definitely visit the train museum when in Sydney

Posted by Freya | December 30, 2012, 1:35 AM
  7. Love old rail cars!

Posted by theemmerogers | December 30, 2012, 2:40 AM
  8. I wish I were there in Sydney. Australia is where I want to be in.

Posted by jazzyjaxxairlines | January 2, 2013, 1:17 PM
  9. I always love to take pics of old trams wherever I travel… I have really enjoyed yours…

Posted by Laura @Travelocafe | January 5, 2013, 7:18 PM